John P. Cicero, PhD
Education and Training
|PhD||Syracuse University / Instructional
with a specialization in Educational and Instructional Systems Design
/ Business Administration
with specialization in Organization Theory and Organizational Behavior
|AB||University of Rochester / English
with specialization in Literature and British History
|MBA Upgrade||Syracuse University (1997)|
One year of Law School at Syracuse University
Syracuse University / NASA Research Project
Supervised Clinical Psychology Practicum
The CA Vocational Education Leadership Academy
Total Quality Management Instructor Training
Course Management Training (On Line Instruction)
Customer Service Academy/Instructor Training
Project Management Training
Appreciative Inquiry Training
On Line Pedagogy Training
ACCJC Accreditation Team Training
Dual Enrollment Training
Computer proficiency in MS Office applications / Windows / Internet / Web Page Design
Teaching and Administration
Shasta Community College - Redding, California
July, 1997 - Present - Full-time faculty teaching various courses in management, marketing, computer literacy and web design
January, 1995 - September, 1997 - Director/Dean of the Center of Excellence for Business and Technology (12-month administrative assignment responsible for Aviation Technology, all Business Disciplines, Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management, Electronics, Engineering, Mathematics, Small Business Development, Work Experience, and campus-wide Staff Development and Training)
July, 1990 - December, 1994 - Business Division Director/Dean (12-month administrative)
Lynn University - Boca Raton, Florida
September, 1983 - June, 1990 - Business Division Chairperson and Full Professor of Management (formerly the College of Boca Raton)
Nova University - Fort Lauderdale, Florida
February, 1979 - June, 1981 - Director Undergraduate Business Administration
Northern Virginia Community College - Alexandria, Virginia
July, 1976 - January, 1979 - Chairperson of the Business Division and Associate Professor of Management (the Business Division served over 10,000 students)
Rochester Institute of Technology - Rochester, New York
September, 1970 - August, 1972 - Assistant Professor of Management and faculty member for the Institute for Community College Faculty Development
Adjunct Faculty Positions from 1968 - Present:
Private Industry Council
California State University Chico.
New York Institute of Technology
Florida Atlantic University
Broward Community College
Trinity College of Washington DC
George Mason University
University of Virginia Extension
Central City Business Institute
Industrial and Consulting
Xerox Corporation - Rochester, New York and Leesburg, Virginia
September, 1972 - May, 1974 - Manager of Service Education (responsible for the conversion of service training to a systems / competency approach)
June, 1974 - June, 1976 - Xerox International Center for Training and Management Development, Manager of Instructor Training (responsible for sales, service, management development, and instructor training)
John P. Cicero, Ph.D., Management and Educational Consulting
September, 1970 - Present - Training/educational program needs analysis, design, delivery, and evaluation - Client list includes: Arlington County School District, Sperry Corporation, Health and Rehabilitative Services (State of Florida), Health and Human Services of Broward County, United Cerebral Palsy of Broward County, Times-Mirror Publishing Company (CRC Press), Simpson Paper Company, Superior California Development Council, Tri-Counties Bank
Counseling and Psychotherapy
Center for Counseling Services - Fort Lauderdale, Florida
November, 1979 - June, 1990 - Psychotherapist involved in individual, family, and marriage counseling, Director of the North Office, and Training Director
Publications, Papers, and Presentations
- "The Professional and Technical Qualifications of Apollo Project Managers," Masters Thesis, Syracuse University, August, 1969.
- "A Concept of Project Authority - A Multi-Dimensional View," IEEE Transactions On Engineering Management, May, 1970.
- "The Project Manager - Anomalies and Ambiguities," Academy of Management Journal, September, 1970.
- "The Relationship of Personality Traits to Attitudes Toward Project and Traditional Management Procedures In A University Environment," Dissertation, Syracuse University, January, 1972.
- "Behavioral Objectives for Technical Training Systems," Training and Development Journal, August, 1973.
- "An Industrial Approach to the Development of Instructional Systems," Seventh Annual National Leadership Development Seminar for State Directors of Vocational Education, Ohio State University, September, 1974.
- "Instructional Systems," Training and Development Handbook, McGraw-Hill, 1976.
- "Mystic Management: Pursuit of a New Paradigm," The California Vocational Education Leadership Academy, May, 1992.
- "The Small Business Plan: Strategies for Success," Fifth Annual Shasta County Small Business Fair, March, 1995
- "Work Site Learning," Fourth Annual North State Secondary Conference, California, January, 1997
- "SCANS Competencies: What Are They," Fourth Annual North State Secondary Conference, California, January, 1997
- Continued utilization and presentation of Cross/Angelo classroom assessment as an aid in moving toward a student-centered learning model
- "If All Else Fails Try The Mystic Management Approach" Key Notes, California Association of Instructional Administrators, Summer, 1997.
- The Eyespell Experiment: Eyespell, Earth, and the Emergence of Mystic Management, Writer's Showcase, San Jose, c. 2001.
- The Mystic Manager, iUniverse, Inc., Bloomington, c.2011.
- Effective Human Relations, Reece and Brandt, Houghton Mifflin, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th editions (2011).
- Computers, Understanding Technology, Fuller and Larson, Paradigm Publishing, 3rd edition (2008)
- Technology in Action, Evans, Martin and Poatsy, Pearson, 4th edition ((2008)
Community and Professional
- Business, Legal, and Hospitality Advisory Councils, Shasta College, 1990 - 1997
- Small Business Development Planning Team, six county area, 1991-1997
- Advisory Committee, Shasta-Trinity Regional Occupational Program, 1991-1997
- Liaison to Chamber of Commerce, Private Industry Council, Employment development Department, and other local and state agencies, 1991-1997
- Tech Prep Consortium, 1991-present
- Fidelity National Title Company Advisory Board, 1992 - 1994
- Carl D. Perkins Fellow, 1992
- Association California Community College Administrators, 1990-1997
- Association of Instructional Administrators, 1992-1997
- California Teachers Association, 1997-present
- National Education Association, 1997-present
- Shasta County Citizens Against Racism, Treasurer, 1999-2000